Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ottawa trip: Spinning

     Although I grew up in northern Ontario I had spent the last 7 or so years living in Ottawa before moving here to Fort Frances last summer.  Having so many friends in Ottawa I decided to go down for a visit and ended up spending nearly a whole month there!  I had a great time visiting with friends and got to learn some new skills.

     While in Ottawa, Becky brought me to this great place on Bank street called Knit Knackers (http://www.knitknackers.com/).  The entry from the street is a tiny doorway wedged between buildings/shops but once you go up the stairs and through the big door on your left: BAM!! A plethora of colours and textures!  I was impressed with the organization and the ample space that is so often missing from these type of shops.  Although I think what stuck with me the most was the little angora rabbit they had wandering around.

Knit Knackers on Bank St.
      They had lots of spinning wheels, spindles, various wools, yarns, carders; you name it! Of course, they had lists of classes on all kinds of hobbies pertaining to yarn. There were hand dyed skeins from local spinners and dyers which was nice to see and the lady behind the counter kindly showed Becky how to card her wool with the new hand carders she bought that day.  (For more photos click here).

Becky and an adorable angora bunny (to her right)

     I bought myself some raw, washed wool (and later a spindle of my own) and we headed to Becky's with our goodies.  That evening we were carding and spinning machines!  She gave me a quick crash course on spinning (and I was with her when she got her quick hand carding lesson) and off we went.  By the end of the night I had learned a new skill: carding and spinning by hand.  I had a fabulous time with my friend Becky and learned so much in the process.

Becky (carding) and I (spinning) enjoying our goodies
     Sure it's nice to cozy up at home under a nice blanket and have a hot cup of tea while knitting or crocheting one's latest project, but there is just something about hanging out with your friend(s) in silence, or excited chatter, while you each busily tackle your own projects.  These are the kind of memories that last a lifetime and never fail to bring smiles!  That's the joy of knitting! .... and spinning  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment