Saturday, January 7, 2012

Week 1: Half-Double Afghan

   The first week of the new year has passed and it's now time to start the weekly project posts. Enjoy!

Half-Double Afghan

    I started this project over the holidays and finished it within a couple weeks.  I didn't use a pattern, just a half-double variation stitch and randomly switched between green and brown. 

Half double afghan and kitty
Close up of the stitch and border


   I started this afghan with the idea of it being part of a set.  The set, when complete will consist of this afghan, a large full sized blanket and a pair of matching slippers.  I started the slippers first but when I got a pair of awesome slippers from my dad for Christmas I moved on to the afghan and put the slippers on hold.  But hopefully soon enough the matching slippers will be featured in a weekly project over the next few months.


Afghans are always kitty approved, no matter the kitty

Pattern:
Materials used:
  • 6.00 mm crochet hook (size J/10)
  • 3-4 skeins of "Medium Thyme" Red Heart Super Saver yarn (198g/7oz/333m)
  • 3 skeins of "Coffee" Red Heart Super Saver yarn (198g/7oz/333m)
Main
I started with green and chained 82.  Then crocheted half double stitches interspersed with single crochets.

Base: Chain 82
Row 1: *yarn over, insert hook in 3rd chain from hook, yarn over, pull yarn through chain, yarn over and pull through all loops on hook (3). [This completes a half double.] Chain 1, skip next stitch Repeat * until the last two stitches. Half double crochet in both stitches (with no chain 1 in between). Turn
Row 2: Chain 3, *half double crochet in next chain 1 space, chain 1. Repeat from * till last two stitches. Half double crochet in first double crochet of previous row. Turn
Row 3: Chain 2, *half double crochet in next chain 1 space, chain 1. Repeat from * till last chain 1 space and stitch. Half double crochet in last chain 1 space, half double crochet in last stitch (with no chain 1 in between)

Repeat rows 2 and 3 for

10 rows green (starting with row 1 of pattern)
5 rows brown
10 rows green
10 rows brown
12 rows green
2 rows brown
8 rows green
4 rows brown
2 rows green
3 rows brown
2 rows green
10 rows brown
7 rows green
4 rows brown
4 rows green
2 rows brown
3 rows green
7 rows brown
2 rows green
2 rows brown
12 rows green
4 rows brown
8 rows green

Border 
With green join to anywhere on main afghan edge. Work half doubles all around afghan. On verticle edge, work stitches in row spaces, *1 half double in each 3 spaces then 2 half doubles in the 4th space, repeat from *till corner. 2 half doubles in corner space, chain 3, 2 half doubles in same space. 

For horizontal edge I did half doubles in each stitch, however this seemed to be too many stitches as my horizontal border is quite 'wavy'.  If I were to do it again, I would try a variation of 3 half doubles then 1 half double over 2 stitches.

For the half double border rows I did 2 green, 2 brown, 2 green then 1 final row of single crochet in green.
     I'm not all that great at writing out patterns from memory, so you'll have to bear with me over this year as I learn to eloquently write out instructions on my creations. But on the off chance this project inspires anyone to get crafty I'd love to hear about and better yet see a photo of your creation.  Leave a comment or leave me an email at Hookneedlespindle@gmail.com.

Keep Crafty everyone! See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment