Monday, September 3, 2012

New Location

     What a busy summer! So much moving, so many trips, so much going on!  I apologize for the lack of updates and will make up for it by bombarding this blog with much posting over the next 2 weeks in an attempt to catch up.  I have a long list of blog posts to make and I fully intend to get through each one! Starting with the new location.

     Since I left off back in November of last year I have moved many times but have now finally found a nice little corner to settle into for a while. Hook, Needle and Spindle has set up shop in a nice little apartment in Ottawa. It definitely doesn't provide the space for a luxurious sewing room like I had in Fort Frances, but instead offers a nice cozy setting in which I can enjoy my sewing (I sew in the main room/dinning room/living room).  I have to say, so far one of my favourite perks of this coziness is that I can easily tend to cooking while sewing; there's nothing like having (and smelling) a nice batch of soup simmering in the crock pot while working on a new quilt. Another wonderful perk has been that I can easily take a quick step out on the balcony for some fresh air and a tomato or two. Yes, I have set up a little potted garden out on my balcony (thanks to a friend's generosity) and it's great.

     The only disadvantage is that my stash is no longer easily accessible.  I've had to come up with very organized methods of storing my stash.  At the moment, my stash is split in two: half is being stored at a friend's place, and half is in my room.  As I work on more and more projects, I've been slowly bringing more boxes from my friend's place to my room and re-organizing to maximize space.  Boxes and bins are stacked pretty high, but are all clearly labeled to make it easy to find fabrics when I need them, and so far I've been needing lots.  Orders have begun to pick up and it's great to be able to find what I need, when I need it.  So as long as one is not claustrophobic, I'm happy to announce that it's completely possible to functionally cram a large stash of fabrics into a small room :).

     The kitties seem to equally enjoy the new digs. They can be found lazing about in random areas of the apartment. On occasion they've even joined me out on the balcony to enjoy the breeze.

     Here are a few pics of the new place:

Balcony
Kitty inspection
My stash in my room
Stash in my room
Other half of my fabric stash in storage at a friend's place
Temporary sewing set up
More temporary sewing set up (plus kitty)
     For more various pics, check out HN&S fb page here.

     I'm happy to finally have a functional table to work with. It needs some love; I plan on sanding it, staining it then sealing it, but that is a story for another blog post :). It can be a pain to keep taking out all my sewing stuff (ironing board, sewing machine, sewing bin, cutting board...) then putting it away again over and over, but being organized helps minimize the hassle and having a pretty laid back roommate helps too. 

     Long story short: the relocation took a long time but I'm now settling in quite nicely. It's a small space, but  that just makes things cozier and forces me to be a little more organized (which is a good thing). I'm very happy with my new place and I look forward to continuing this crafty adventure here in Ottawa.

Keeping Crafty in a different location,
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment